Coal mining was first recorded in the Biddulph Valley in the early 17th century.
Robert Heath came to the valley in 1857 and created the Biddulph Valley Coal and Iron Works.
The coal mine, named Victoria, (known locally as Black Bull) employed more than 1000 men in its heyday.
Victoria colliery, along with Norton colliery, was bought by businessman James Cadman in 1928 and operated as Norton and Biddulph Colleries.
Following nationalisation, Victoria remained a major employer under National Coal Board ownership until it’s closure on the 28 July 1982 – 40 years ago.
On the 10 October 1983 the Evening Sentinel reported that Biddulph was to have a permanent reminder of its connection with the coal industry, with the mounting of a balance wheel from Victoria outside the Town Hall.
Mr Mountford, aged 83, the oldest surviving member from Victoria colliery unveiled the pit wheel on the 3 December 1983.
The colliery is remembered at the Victoria Centre; rooms are named after the Havelock (a mining shaft), Salisbury (the main pumping shaft) and coal seams Bullhurst, Banbury and Winpenny and at Victoria Business Park, completed in 2005, on whose land it was built.